Customize this recipe based on your
budget and what you have available.
-1 ounce oil blend:
- Shea Butter. An excellent skin protectant with an SPF of approximately 6-10.
- Carrot Seed Oil. Carrot seed oil is an essential oil and has been estimated to contain SPF levels of 30.
- Wheat Germ Oil. While super nourishing for the skin, it too possesses a natural SPF of 20.
- Grapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Avocado oil, Almond All contain SPF levels between 4-10.
-1 ounce beeswax (adds waterproof properties)
-1 ounce butter blend (i.e. Shea butter or cocoa butter)
-1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
-0.36 ounces zinc oxide powder
-30 drops essential oils, optional
1. Gather ingredients and kitchen tools.
2. In a double boiler, over low heat, melt the oils, beeswax, and butters.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly prior to adding the vitamin E oil, zinc oxide powder, and essential oils.
Note: Wear a mask when working with zinc oxide. Although it has not been proven harmful when used topically,
inhaling the substance can be dangerous.
4. Stir until zinc oxide is dissolved.
5. Pour into a push-up or roll-up dispenser. This recipe will produce a product similar to a
lotion bar or sunscreen stick. You could easily clean out and re-purpose a used deodorant
or lip balm container.
6. Allow to cool and harden on the counter overnight and then you’re good to go!
During times of heavy sun and swim exposure be sure to reapply often for the best coverage.